- Know your source water: Understanding the composition of your source water is important to determine what type of contaminants it may contain and what type of filtration system is appropriate. Using a Berkey filtration system is a convenient way to filter your rain water or water collected from the lake or spring.
- Choose the right filtration system: Different filtration systems remove different contaminants. Choose a system that is appropriate for your source water and the contaminants you want to remove.
- Change filters regularly: Regularly changing filters is important to ensure that the filtration system continues to effectively remove contaminants from your water. Add a capful of bleach to shock the water before use.
- Clean your filtration system: Regular cleaning of your filtration system is important to ensure that it continues to operate efficiently and effectively.
- Store water properly: Storing water in clean, airtight containers can help to prevent contamination and maintain the quality of filtered water.
- Test your water: Regularly testing your water can help you determine if the filtration system is effectively removing contaminants and if the quality of your filtered water is satisfactory.
- Maintain the filtration system: Regular maintenance is important to ensure that the filtration system continues to operate effectively and to extend its lifespan.
- For cooking and drinking, other than using your Berkey, you can also boil water.
Following these best practices can help ensure that you have clean and safe drinking water.